While some Regional PPOs like Humana’s Readers Digest Healthy Living Plan were degrading their benefits, Medicare Complete was making improvements to their benefits. The Medicare Complete plan has always been a solid Regional PPO, but it has also had some drawbacks as well. This year for 2013 they are eliminating some of those drawbacks, and improving their benefits even more. You will definitely want to consider this plan for 2013. Let’s look at some the changes to their benefits. I reference some of these changes in general in my post a month ago entitled AARP Medicare Complete improves their benefits in Florida. Check here for more 2013 plan updates.
AARP Medicare Complete Choice 2
- Offering a $0 Copay for Primary Care visits – this was already a low copay at $10, but now you will not be able to use money as an excuse for not going to the doctor
- They have eliminated the 20% copay for outpatient procedures. This is a huge plus as it was a major concern for many people. The copay will be a flat $250
- Hospital copay is being reduced to $295
- Offering $0 Copays for many generic drugs! Just imagine not having to pay anything when you go to the pharmacy!
- Lowered Out of Pocket Maximum to $4,900 – This is a really nice benefit as well
- Still offering Silver Sneakers and Hearing Aids!
- Network not as extensive as others like Humana and BCBS
- Does not capitalize on their national network, and instead offers their cumbersome Passport program
- No Coverage through the Coverage Gap
AARP Medicare Complete Choice 2 – Summary of Benefits
- $0 monthly plan premium
- $0 drug deductible
- Maximum Out of Pocket – $4,900
- Primary doctor copay – $0
- Specialist copay – $35
- Outpatient services – $250
- Hospital stay – $295/day Days 1-5
- Labwork copay – $14
- X-Ray copay – $16
- Part D Drug Copays – Tier 1 – $0, Tier 2 – $6, Tier 3 – $45, Tier 4 – $95, Tier 5 – 33%
- Dental, Hearing, and Vision offering $0 routine exams
In summary this plan is definitely enhanced from last year. If you are already on the plan, it is unlikely that you will find any better coverage. If you have not yet tried AARP MedicareComplete Choice Plan 2, this may be the year to give it a shot. As always verify your providers accept the plan before signing up.